1. Wednesday morning, several hundred University of Alabama students marched from the university library to the administration building.
2. The students gathered on the steps of the administration building holding a large banner that read “Last stand in the schoolhouse door.”
Alabama Public Radio
150-200 students for University of Alabama anti-racism rally. Pat D
3. University of Alabama President Judy Bonner released a video statement saying that the university doesn’t tolerate any discrimination on campus.
The chapter members are ready to move forward. The University of Alabama will support them in every way possible. We will work extremely hard to remove any barriers that they perceive. If we are going to adequately prepare our students to compete in the global society, we simply must make systemic and profound changes.
4. The discovery of institutional racism within the Greek system was first made public in a piece by the school’s newspaper, The Crimson White.
5. The piece named four sororities: Alpha Gamma Delta, Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, and Pi Beta Phi.
Khortland Patterson speaking at @UAstands about the Greek racial divide at The University of Alabama #makechange
6. It also revealed that the last black student to pledge a non-black sorority was in 2003.
7. The crowd outside the administration building included students involved in Greek life and those who aren’t.
Stuff Blountees Say
Thank you yellow bands for leading the way. And thank you to the supporters! #WeStand #UAStand #bama
8. The Associated Press spoke to Yardena Wolf, a 19-year-old sophomore and member of Alpha Omicron Pi.
9. She moved out of her sorority house after breaking sorority policy by criticizing the segregation on social media.
So amazed at today, and incredibly hopeful for the future #WeStand
10. A lot of students who come to the University Of Alabama from out-of-state say they’re shocked by how much institutional racism they encounter.
11. President Bonner announced that sororities will be required to start a new recruitment process aimed at bringing diversity to campus Greek life.
Crowd still gathering at the bottom of Gorgas steps for student/faculty march at University of Alabama this am
- Chris Froome won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴