1. Nevada elected the first Latina senator in US history.
2. California elected the first Indian-American to serve in the US Senate.
3. Florida elected the first Vietnamese-American woman to Congress.
4. Oregon elected the US's first LGBT governor.
5. A former refugee was elected the US's first Somali-American Muslim female legislator.
6. Washington elected the first Indian-American woman to hold a seat in the US House of Representatives.
Kamala Harris is the second black woman to be elected to the US Senate. A previous version indicated that she was the second black senator to ever serve in Congress.
Stephanie Murphy defeated a 23-year Republican incumbent. A previous version incorrectly indicated her opponent was 23-years-old.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact EmilieSvensson at Emilie.Svensson@buzzfeed.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.