1. This is a “bikini bridge”:
3. The plan had two stages, one was to create the tag, and the second was to lead the backlash against it.
The premise is simple. Create propaganda parading the “bikini bridge” to be the best big thing… Circulate it throughout the Internet. Simultaneously, we create reverse propaganda, denouncing the bikini bridge as an unhealthy obsession. This, too, we circulate through the Internet. Our mission during phase 1 is to garner support for these social outlets. The more followers/subscribers the better.
After a fair amount of circulation has been accomplished, we circulate the images throughout parts of the Internet know to be biased on the subject of weight (i.e. thin privilege, fat shaming, etc.). This should cause large enough of a stir to snowball into a fairly big subject.
8. On Tuesday, The Daily Mail’s Bianca London covered the fake trend as possibly real, including the fake tweets and unmoderated BuzzFeed community post. She also called it the new thigh gap.
Buzzfeed has also posted an article entitled ‘12 perks of having a bikini bridge’ with reasons such as ‘it is the ultimate beach accessory’, ‘Harry Styles will be 857 per cent more attracted to you’ and ‘you and your girls will become the talk of the town’.
As a result, in just 24 hours, #bikinibridge and #bikinibridge2014 was tweeted more than 2,400 times, with Harry Styles’s endorsement - which has seen been deleted - receiving 115,359 favourites.
9. A few hours later, smaller blogs picked up on the Daily Mail post, including Samantha Escobar from The Gloss, who also referred to it as the new thigh gap:
Regardless of whether or not this ‘trend’ is a hoax, however, it’s important to note how incredibly f’ing plausible it sounds. And that it has resulted in the perpetuation of stereotypes–such as in that BuzzFeed article I linked to above–that thinness is inherently indicative of healthiness, that bikinis are for thin women, and that you’re more lovable if you’re thinner.
10. On Twitter, images of women’s stomachs are flooding the tag by the thousands.
We all want this <3 #bikinibridge #summer2014
13. The tag on Instagram has also started to fill up with pictures.
15. At the same time over the weekend when “pro-bikini bridge” accounts were springing up, accounts that were likely also part of the hoax started attacking the idea of the bikini bridge.
Anti Bikini Bridge
Another one of a perfectly healthy girl… #bikinibridge
ROU Value Judgement
Big is beautiful. Bikini bridges aren’t. #bikinibridge #whoneedsbridges
#bikinibridge Isn’t beautiful! #whoneedsbridges #bodyacceptance
- BuzzFeed News has identified the 4th member of an ISIS cell that beheaded 27 hostages. His mother tells the family's story.
- Greek police have begun clearing Europe's largest informal refugee camp on its border with Macedonia.
- Donald Trump has repeatedly panned the 2011 U.S. action in Libya. But that year, he blasted Obama for not targeting Qaddafi sooner.