25 Things You Might Not Know About Futurama
Futurama comes back tonight (hooray!) and to celebrate, here's a massive heaping of some of the show's nerdiest trivia!
1. Fry's voice actor Billy West is responsible for pretty much every famous character of the past 20 years.
2. Matt Groening claims the idea for Futurama came to him while listening to the song "Robot Blues" by The Incredible String Band.
3. The title "Futurama" comes from a 1939 General Motors World's Fair exhibit about "the world of tomorrow."
4. The alien language in the background has been changed twice because fans kept figuring it out.
5. In one episode, the cast switched bodies and the writers had to actually invent a new mathematical theorem to get them back in their bodies again.
6. Fry's outfit is modeled after James Dean's famous red jacket from Rebel Without A Cause.
7. The Planet Express Ship is supposedly modeled to look like its pilot, Leela.
8. Philip J. Fry is named for Phil Hartman, who sadly passed away before the show began.
9. Bender is named after John Bender from The Breakfast Club.
10. Professor Farnsworth is named for Philo Farnsworth, inventor of the television.
11. Leela's full name Turanga Leela is named after Olivier Messiaen's 1948 composition "Turangalîla-Symphonie."
12. Bender's first words coming out of the factory were, "Bite my shiny metal ass." He's also drinking a beer.
13. Zapp Brannigan's voice is based on Phil Hartman's characters from The Simpsons.
14. The line "Why not Zoidberg" is never uttered in the show.
15. Shockingly, Frank Welker, the actor who voices Nibbler, used to voice Megatron in The Transformers.
16. Leela's armband is called a "Wristlojackimator."
17. Fry's dog Seymour is based off a real dog named Hachikō who waited for his master for 10 years.
18. There is an episode that consists entirely of the Hypnotoad. It's 22 minutes long, and ends with a voiceover saying, "The audience will wake up remembering nothing and feeling refreshed."
19. The robot cop that says "Aww yeah" all the time is named Officer URL.
20. Anywhere you see an owl is where you'd normally see a rat, implying owls are the new vermin in the future.
21. Stephen Hawking voices himself on both Futurama and The Simpsons, but not Family Guy.
22. Kristin Gore, Al Gore's daughter, has written for Futurama.
23. Al Gore's a pretty huge fan of the show himself, appearing several times.
24. Fox hated the idea of using "30th Century Fox" at the end of Futurama episodes until Matt Groening went ahead and bought the rights to it.
25. And lastly, here's Fry's favorite song "Walking On Sunshine." Get pumped!
Also fun fact, if you ever search for Futurama pictures on Google, you should definitely use safe search... yuck.