1. Microfibre towel, which can double up as a blanket
2. Sheet sleeping bag for those bedbug-eaten hostel beds
3. Head torch
4. Cable ties
5. A sarong. It can also work as a sheet, skirt, scarf, tablecloth, head & shoulders covering, etc.
6. Cheap leatherman
7. A gang (electrical multi-plug thingy) with a long extension wire. There are never, ever, ever, enough plug sockets!
8. GOOD bras and underwear
9. Bin bag
11. A fleece if you're going anywhere it'll be cold at night: warm, light and dries easily
12. Baby wipes
14. Two small luggage padlocks, ideally combination ones, so when you're in random hostels and you have to provide your own lock but also want to keep your bag locked you can do it all
15. Your toothbrush, one that folds up is good as it stays clean
17. A Power Monkey (or similar), it's one charger for everything and you can top up batteries when you don't have a plug socket
19. Antihistamine cream
20. A ukulele
21 & 22. A smile and a good, positive, open mental attitude. You'll get by with those even if you forget everything else
24. Needle & thread
25. Comfortable trainers/walking shoes or... 26. trekking sandals: they don't look stylish but they're the best...
27. A travel pillow, it makes overnight journeys a lot more comfortable
28. A little compass
29. Decent plasters – Boots own-brand will just sweat right off
30. Portable binoculars if you like nature-spotting
More suggestions are gladly received...
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!