1. Because you can wake up to a sunrise like this.
2. Because you can sit on the beach, beer in hand, and watch sunsets like this.
3. Because you've wandered around castles that were built by the Vikings.
4. Because you've stumbled past medieval castles on your way home from a night in the pub.
5. Because there's always someone willing to greet you, wherever you are.
6. Because the term "rat race" has little meaning for you.
7. Because you know the difference between a hill and a mountain.
8. Because on the Isle of Man, trams are trams.
9. Because you can't see a water wheel without bringing up the largest working example in the world.
10. Because this is what all sheep look like, right?
11. Because you know cats don't need tails to have a good time.
12. Because you hear the word "village" and you think of this.
13. Because you know pumpkins have no place in Hop-tu-Naa.
14. Because you don't understand why people think kippers smell strongly.
15. Because there's nothing like an island to make you reflect.
16. Because you could travel the world and not find a view to hold a candle to Bradda Head on a summer's evening.
17. Because a town without a promenade isn't worth bothering with.
18. Because you know there's always a smaller island, should you need to get away.
19. Because you never forget growing up in a Celtic nation.
20. Because going for a quick stroll looks like this.
21. Because a Peel sunset makes fish 'n' chips taste all the better.
22. Because for two weeks a year there's nowhere you'd rather be.
23. Because the island knows how to have a good time.
24. Because it looks just as stunning when the weather turns.
25. Because occasionally you can find yourself in Windows XP.
26. Because you're used to getting this close to the action.
27. Because the island offers refuge.
28. Because the engines that power our public transport have names like "Jake".
29. Because everywhere is (more or less) walkable.
30. Because you have no desire to see the Hollywood sign.
31. Because flying cars are almost impossible to find anywhere else.
32. Because you thought the sky looked like this everywhere.
33. Because this is how you determine that spring has sprung.
34. Because you know that what most people call a strong wind is nothing but a light breeze.
35. And because you've seen TERRIBLE things while getting the ferry in the wrong conditions.
36. Because even the harsh winters still look like this.
37. Because you've got the northern lights on your doorstep.
38. Because you find Manannan's Cloak comforting.
39. Because they make 'em tough here.
40. Because you spent your childhood exploring places like this.
41. Because you're totally used to 100-feet-tall seagulls.
42. Because you know 4 July is just a warm-up for the following day.
43. Because the national dish looks like this.
44. Because there's no other spot from which you can see Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales.
45. Because, well, there's nowhere like it.
Many of the images included in this post were taken by Manx photographer Ron Strathdee. You can see more of his work and order prints by visiting his website.