4. Well here’s why:
Oprah recently partnered with Teavana, a Starbucks-owned specialty tea retailer, and its leading teaologist Naoko Tsunoda to create a signature blend of chai tea, which Starbucks advertises as “a bold infusion of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves, blended with loose-leaf black tea and rooibos.”
It launched April 29, 2014, at Starbucks and Teavana locations nationwide.
5. In a segment for OWN, Oprah explained her personal history with chai tea, having first tried masala chai during a 2012 trip to Mumbai.
She explains how her tastes informed the blend, saying that the team “got the cinnamon mixture just right, so you don’t need sugar.”
6. The chai lattes and loose-leaf teas sold at Starbucks come in special coffee sleeves inscribed with inspirational Oprah quotes.
7. Sales of Oprah’s chai products benefit youth education.
Starbucks and Teavana donate a portion of the proceeds to The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy Foundation: $0.25 USD per Teavana Oprah Chai prepared beverage; $1 USD per 2 oz. of Teavana Oprah Chai Loose-Leaf Tea, reusable storage tin, and small gift set; and $4 USD per large gift set.
This foundation in turn funds The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, an all-girls boarding school near Johannesburg, South Africa. Its mission is to provide leadership and academic opportunities to South African girls from impoverished backgrounds, nourishing “the next generation of transformative South African leaders.”
10. The foundation also works to help at-risk students excel academically in the U.S.
Oprah also gives to four domestic organizations through her foundation: Girls Inc., National CARES Mentoring Movement, Pathways to College, and the U.S. Dream Academy.
Starbucks declined to provide BuzzFeed with an amount of donation proceeds generated by sales thus far.
- The State Department has been accused of promoting Trump's private businesses after its post about the history of Mar-a-Lago went viral.
- If no court steps in, Arkansas is poised to become the first state in more than 15 years to execute two people in one night.
- Markets are saying "Vive la France" after pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron gained the most votes in the 1st round of the French election.
- Thanks to Paul Ryan, Papa Roach's teen-angst smash "Last Resort" has become the internet's unofficial anthem for the owned 😬🎤