1. Introducing Wasabi-chan.
This is Wasabi-chan in a tarako (salted cod roe) outfit. The costume was made specifically to restrain the movement of the kitten. Read on to find out why! The following tweets are all translated by Rinkya in English from originally Japanese posts by @jessiepon.
2. This is where it all started.
June 2nd, 2013
@jessiepon: ”I heard a horrible cry of a kitten, getting attacked by crows in front of my house. I immediately rescued her and brought her to the vet. Crows have eaten inside of the kitten’s mouth, to the point she can’t drink milk on her own. The vet had to insert a catheter directly into her stomach to feed the kitten. Her initial body weight: 210g.”
June 9th, 2013
@jessiepon “Good morning! Today’s photo of the kitten <3 After the catheter feeding this morning, I wiped her face, and the scabs fell off. She looks beautiful! She couldn’t even open her left eye when I first found her, but now she can raise her eyelid gradually. Her tongue is torn up in half, so sometimes it hangs out of her mouth like this… ^^;”
6. The first time the kitten appeared in a baby covering.
June 11th, 2013
@jessiepon: “Today’s photo! When I was taking lice out around her eyes, I heard her purr for the first time! Her upper jaw is fractured, so it’s still bleeding a little. She is taking antibiotics, anti-inflammatory analgesic, and intestinal medication now.
“Also, we finally named her. Her name is ‘Wasabi-chan’ and she’s a girl. (*´艸`*)”
8. Then, this photo was uploaded, making Wasabi-chan an instant superstar on Japanese Twitter.
June 15th, 2013
@jessiepon: “She tries to fight back whenever we feed her with the catheter, so Granny made her this outfit to make sure she eats. A “tarako” Wasabi. Tomorrow we’ll go to the clinic again!”
12. Day by day, Wasabi-chan shows improvement in her health.
June 17th, 2013
@jessiepon: “Wasabi-chan is very fortunate to have such warm responses from everyone! Today, we started her litter training, but as you can see, Wasabi-chan is not so interested in it… ʅ(‾◡◝ ა)ʃ”
14. She got a new outfit — shimeji mushroom!
June 20th, 2013
@jessiepon: “Granny’s new hand-made piece! This is Wasabi-chan in a shimeji mushroom cover. We’ll start the catheter-feeding with this new outfit today!”
“Also, here is Wasabi’s profile: Used to be a stray cat / possibly quintuplets / female / initial weight: 210g (minus weight of lice) / favorite thing: Granny / hates: catheter-feeding and mouth checkup / friend: stuffed mouse.”
15. Around this time…
Some people complained that putting a kitten in an outfit like this is an animal abuse, which drove @jessiepon into locking her Twitter account as private. Clearly, these people have no context to why the owner makes Wasabi-chan wear it. It’s not for fun, but for feeding the kitten without her trying to fight back. Sudden movements can end up suffocating the kitten or hurting her throat/stomach! Luckily,@jessiepon opened up the account to public again.
17. Wasabi-chan sends a message to the world with her wasabi plant outfit.
July 1st, 2013
@jessiepon: “It’s been a month since I met Wasabi-chan! Thank you for everyone’s support. I made this photo to pray for the wellness and happiness of all pets in the world.”
- A few weeks ago, he was Trump's national security adviser. Now Mike Flynn is seeking immunity for testifying on the Trump campaign's alleged ties to Russia.
- The White House refuses to deny a report saying Trump administration officials gave the House intelligence chairman classified information.
- The controversial HB2 "bathroom law" in North Carolina was partially repealed, but LGBT activists say the repeal legislation still allows discrimination.
- SpaceX has launched and landed a recycled rocket for the first time. It's a big step towards making space flight cheaper ♻️🚀