Giant Mochi Ice Cream
7 ounces shiratamako (glutinous rice flour)
4 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon matcha (fine green tea powder)
1 cup water
Potato starch or cornstarch as needed
MATCHA ICE CREAM
14 ounces condensed milk
2½ cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon matcha (fine green tea powder)
1. Make mochi. Combine shiratamako, sugar, matcha, and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Whisk until smooth. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Mix well with using a wooden spatula.
2. Line a 10-inch bowl with plastic and set aside. Sprinkle your tabletop with enough potato starch to avoid sticking. Mix the mochi mixture and place on top of the starch. Roll out the mochi larger than the bowl, about 15 inches across. Lay mochi over the plastic-lined bowl.
3. Make matcha ice cream. In a large bowl, add heavy cream, condensed milk, and matcha. Using a hand mixer, whip until thickened to soft peaks.
4. Add the ice cream mixture into the mochi-lined bowl. Take the excess mochi and lay it over the middle, encasing the ice cream. Cover with plastic.
5. Freeze at least 6 hours or overnight.
6. Bring the mochi ice cream to room temperature for 15-30 minutes before serving so mochi has time to soften.
7. Garnish with extra matcha on top, if you please.