Play Wasabi Creampuff Russian Roulette With Your Friends Because It's April Fool's Day And You're The Worst
Russian Roulette Cream Puffs #AprilFools
½ cup butter
⅔ cup water
1 pinch salt
¾ cup flour
1 cup milk
¼ cup sugar
2 egg yolk
1½ tablespoons flour
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Wasabi, as needed
Melted chocolate, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F/190˚C.
2. In a medium saucepan, add the butter, water, and salt over medium heat. Allow all the butter to melt and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add in the flour. Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly to combine.
4. Continue stirring (about two minutes). The dough should form into a ball and easily pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove the mixture from heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Add in the eggs to the cooled dough, one at a time, being sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next. (The eggs will initially be difficult to incorporate into the dough - but continue stirring vigorously and they will eventually come together to form a smooth shiny dough.) When the dough drops, making a V shape, it is ready!
6. Transfer it to a piping bag and pipe onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet into 1-inch mounds. Smooth out any peaks/tails caused by piping with a wet fingertip.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 375˚F.
8. Then, without opening the oven, reduce heat to 350˚F/180˚C and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
9. Turn off the heat and leave the puff pastry in the oven for another 10 minutes.
10. Remove puff pastry from oven. Using the tip of a knife, cut a small “x” into the bottom of each puffs and transfer (“x” side up) to a cooling rack. This will allow any excess steam or moisture to escape ensuring your eclairs, maintain their shape.
11. Make the filling. In a medium-size microwave-safe bowl, whisk the yolks, sugar, flour, and milk. Cover with the plastic wrap, Cook the custard in a microwave for 4 minutes, stirring after each minute until very smooth. Cover the top with plastic wrap and pressing the wrap down onto the surface of the cream to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the fridge until cool down, approximately 30 minutes.
12. In a medium-size bowl, whisk the heavy cream until soft peak. Combine the custard and the whipped cream with a spatula. Transfer into a piping bag and fill each puff except one with the cream. Fill the other with wasabi. Dip the puffs in melted chocolate and create a tower.
13. Spin the puff pastry tower and see who gets the wasabi one!