1. This is what the future of aviation could look like – windowless planes.
The concept design is the work of the Teesside-based Centre for Process Innovation (CPI).
The Guardian reported that it would see the windows replaced with full-length OLED screens displaying panoramic views captured by cameras mounted on the plane’s exterior, as well as providing in-flight entertainment and internet access.
3. Removing the windows from the aircraft would reduce its weight and therefore the cost for the passenger and airline, the firm said.
In a video uploaded to YouTube on 15 October, the CPI said over 3 billion people fly around the world every year, using 220,000 gallons of fuel and producing over 705 million tonnes of CO2.
4. Dr Jon Helliwell of the CPI was quoted by The Guardian as saying: “We had been speaking to people in aerospace and we understood that there was this need to take weight out of aircraft.”
“Follow the logical thought through. Let’s take all the windows out – that’s what they do in cargo aircraft – what are the passengers going to do? If you think about it, it’s only really the people that are sitting next to windows that will suffer.”
6. Helliwell said windowless planes could become a reality in 10 years.
“We are talking about it now because it matches the kind of development timelines that they have in the aerospace industry,” he added.
8. You can watch the full CPI video here:
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- BuzzFeed News analyzed all the links in Donald Trump's tweets to determine where the president-elect gets his news 📰❗️
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago today, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23--year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂