1. Retail assistant Mike Amess has a rather unusual phobia…
The 24-year-old claims he breaks out in a cold sweat whenever Kim Kardashian’s name is mentioned and apparently once threw up when he accidentally watched Kanye West’s “Bound 2” music video, featuring a semi-naked Kim.
2. “Just hearing the sound of the Kardashians’ nasal voices or catching a glimpse of them on screen makes me feel nauseous and shaky,” he said.
“My hands get clammy, my breathing gets heavier and I start sweating. Sometimes, I get teary and want to retch.”
Amess, who is gay, first realised he had a problem with the Kardashians when he decided to watch Kim’s infamous sex tape in an attempt to test his sexuality when he was 17 years old.
3. He revealed:
I was raised Catholic and growing up, I tried to repress my sexuality and deny that I was gay.
Loads of the boys at school were going on about how good Kim Kardashian’s sex tape was. I thought I’d give it a watch in the hope it would turn me on.
I downloaded the video and watched it secretly in my bedroom. But the sight of Kim writhing around with her huge bum and the sound of her horrible high-pitched wailing repulsed me.
4. He added: “I really wanted to be aroused by her so I kept watching it but she made me feel more and more upset.
“By the end of the tape, I had burst into tears. The experience left me terrified and I never wanted to see Kim’s face again.
“I have come to terms with my homosexuality now but my dread towards her has never left.”
5. Unfortunately for Amess, the Kardashians have now conquered the world, and there is no way to escape them.
“Kim and her sisters look and sound so similar. They make my stomach churn, I hate it,” he added.
“I can’t stand their voices either. They’re so whiny and shrill - it really gets under my skin.
6. “Every website or magazine you read has them plastered all over. I really enjoy reading the news but if I see Kim on the cover of a newspaper or a big picture of her across a website, I won’t go near it.
“It makes life really difficult. Sometimes, I miss out on a lot of important news or celebrity gossip because I have to avoid anything which features the Kardashians.”
7. His phobia has even impacted on his love life after splitting up with an ex-boyfriend following an argument over the Kardashians.
“At first, he found my fear funny and kind of cute,’ Amess said.
“But over time, he wanted to talk about the Kardashians with me and of course, that’s not something I was really up for doing. We had a big argument once when he demanded to watch the latest episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians whilst I was with him.
“We had a blazing row in which he called my phobia immature and attention-seeking.
“I ended up storming out of his flat. In the end, it became difficult spending time with him and definitely played a role in our break-up.”