University of Leicester researchers examined 17 alcohol studies to determine whether one or two questions could establish if someone has a drink problem.
The first two questions:
- How often do you have six or more drinks on one occasion?
- As a result of your drinking or drug use, did anything happen in the last year that you wish didn't happen?
The follow-up questions are based on the CAGE questionnaire developed in 1984.
Answering yes to two or more questions may indicate that you have an alcohol problem.
Do these apply to you?
- Have you ever felt you needed to cut down on your drinking?
- Have people annoyed you by criticising your drinking?
- Have you ever felt guilty about drinking?
- Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?