Pandora, the 10-year-old internet radio pioneer, is huge: Its 76.5 million active listeners represent over 9% of all radio listening in the U.S.
The service, which lets you teach it what to play by giving songs either a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down,” announced today that users have voted with their thumbs a staggering 50 billion times — the equivalent of seven thumbs for every person on Earth.
Since your thumbs on Pandora directly affect the kind of music you’ll hear, users on the service tend to vote in their own interest, creating a relatively authentic profile of their music tastes.
So who’s winning the internet radio thumb war? We asked Pandora for the 10 songs that have received the most “thumbs up” votes in its history — and the results might surprise you.
10. The Fray, “How to Save a Life” — 15.6 million thumbs up
9. Adele, “Someone Like You” — 15.8 million thumbs up
8. Gotye, “Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra)” — 16.2 million thumbs up
7. One Republic, “Counting Stars” — 16.3 million thumbs up
6. Maroon 5, “She Will Be Loved” — 17.1 million thumbs up
5. Goo Goo Dolls, “Iris” — 17.3 million thumbs up
4. Mario, “Let Me Love You” — 17.4 million thumbs up
3. Imagine Dragons, “Radioactive” — 18.3 million thumbs up
2. Drake, “The Motto” — 19.0 million thumbs up
1. Journey, “Don’t Stop Believin’” — 20.2 million thumbs up
- French towns are continuing to enforce a ban on Muslim women wearing the burkini despite the country's highest administrative court ruling the ban illegal.
- Facebook shifts to algorithms to decide which stories to highlight in its trending news section after allegations of liberal bias at the company.
- Donald Trump says the shooting of NBA star Dwyane Wade's cousin is evidence of high crime rates he believes will boost his support among black people in November's election.