2. Many Native Americans and others were upset about the appropriation of the garment, which is considered to be the sacred garb of chiefs and warriors. They created the “#NotHappy” hashtag on Twitter.
6. In a statement responding to the controversy, Pharrell has apologized, saying he meant no disrespect.
“I respect and honor every kind of race, background and culture,” Pharrell says. “I am genuinely sorry.”
Elle UK has not yet responded to a request for comment.
- Neilson Rizzuto has been identified as the suspected drunk driver who drove a truck into a crowd at Mardi Gras and injured over a dozen.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classic films including "Twister," "Titanic," and "Aliens."
- Moderate to severe coral bleaching continues to affect the Great Barrier Reef almost a year after the worst bleaching crisis in history.
- Tonight at 8:30pm ET, BuzzFeed is celebrating the biggest night in Hollywood, the Oscars, with a live show and tipsy game of bingo 🏆🍹