2. Many Native Americans and others were upset about the appropriation of the garment, which is considered to be the sacred garb of chiefs and warriors. They created the “#NotHappy” hashtag on Twitter.
6. In a statement responding to the controversy, Pharrell has apologized, saying he meant no disrespect.
“I respect and honor every kind of race, background and culture,” Pharrell says. “I am genuinely sorry.”
Elle UK has not yet responded to a request for comment.
- More than 30 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- German leader Angela Merkel said the UK can't expect to keep privileges once it leaves the EU.
- More athletes — nearly all of them golfers — have pulled out of the Rio Olympics over Zika virus concerns.