12. He raised the bar for cricket in its entirety, by inspiring other cricketers to be better.
14. In 2010, when he became the first cricketer EVER to score a double-century in an ODI, you literally gave him a standing ovation from your living room.
16. Whenever he went up against Shoaib Akhtar, you felt as though years of political conflict were being settled on the cricket pitch.
17. Whenever he got out, you felt a sense of abject doom, like the game itself had lost its meaning.
18. And when his batting style slowed down in the mid-2000s, you (along with the rest of India) panicked and thought he was depressed.
19. But he made it acceptable to display emotion.
Like when India lost to Pakistan by 12 runs in a 1999 Chennai test match, and he reportedly cried for 12 hours afterwards.
20. During the 1999 World Cup, when he hit a century against Kenya immediately after attending his father’s funeral, your hairs stood on end.
22. And he taught you to always put your team first.
During his test debut against Pakistan, he was injured and bleeding, but continued to bat, ultimately winning the game for India.
23. You’ve read this paragraph multiple times but it still gives you goosebumps:
Originally published in Time Magazine.
24. The crowds of Wankhade stadium chanting his name is your favorite sound in the world.
26. When the Indian team lifted him on their shoulders after winning the 2011 World Cup, you cried the happiest tears of your entire life.
27. Hearing the news of his retirement was an emotional roller coaster, even though you’d expected it for years.
28. While the sport lost a legend, it’ll never be the same.
- Republicans are working overnight trying to finalize a deal that'd allow their Obamacare replacement plan to pass in the House.
- Rep. Adam Schiff said there's "more than circumstantial evidence" that Trump's campaign colluded with Russia during the election.
- Four people died in a suspected terror attack after a car drove into pedestrians near Parliament in London. The suspect was killed.
- A 4-month-old golden retriever named after Joe Biden got to meet and even lick the former vice president at the Capitol today 🐶❤️