1. The story was inspired by an actual vacation Thomas Mann took with his family in 1911.
2. There was a real Tadzio.
3. Władysław Moes, nicknamed Adzio, visited Venice with his family at the same time as Mann.
4. Even Jaschiu was inspired by a real friend of Moes.
5. The name "Aschenbach" literally means ash brook or creek.
6. The novella was made into a film in 1971 by director Luchino Visconti.
7. Bjorn Andresen was conflicted by his role in the film after it drew so much attention to him as the "most beautiful boy in the world."
8. The novella has also been made into an opera (by Benjamin Britten in 1973) and a ballet (by John Neumeier in 2003).
9. And the adaptations don't stop there.
10. Mann wasn't the only author to make Venice his setting of deterioration and decay.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!