1. The glory that is Colorado’s first weed vending machine was unveiled this weekend.
Described by maker American Green as “an automated, age-verifying, climate-controlled marijuana dispensing machine,” the machine, called a ZaZZZ, was unveiled at Montana’s Smokehouse in Avon, Colo., and will live at the Herbal Elements medical dispensary.
The ZaZZZ will be stocked with weed-infused goodies from Herbal Elements, and owner Greg Honan said he’s looking forward to being able to “eliminate the middle man.”
“It’ll go straight from the budtender right into our machine,” Honan told Denver’s Fox affiliate, KDVR. “There’s no room for theft by patients, employees … there’s no way to lose track of the inventory.”
3. For pot purveyors hoping to patronize the ZaZZZ, there’s a catch: The green machine can only be accessed by medical marijuana cardholders who have a valid ID, which the machine will scan and verify.
Also, owners say it won’t be available to customers until they are positive they have met all regulatory guidelines; no word if it will be ready by 4/20.
5. Weed vending machines aren’t super new — Los Angeles-based company Medbox already has a few at dispensaries around the California city, but they stay behind the counter and can only be accessed by shops’ employees.
Stephen Shearin, COO of American Green parent Tranzbyte, told The Canabist he can imagine a day when his machines might populate the country.
“I envisioned something like this 20 years ago but didn’t think I’d live to see the end of prohibition against a plant of such great promise,” he said.
- The LAPD says it won't work with the feds on deportations — but it already does.
- UK intelligence chief says he's worried by rival countries' attempts to undermine democracy through propaganda, cyberattacks.
- The 36 victims in the Oakland warehouse fire were trapped with "no way out" in America's deadliest blaze in over a decade.
- People are mad at Jennifer Lawrence for telling a story about rubbing her butt on sacred Hawaiian rocks.