1. Everyone’s got some baggage, including Patrick, the Dallas Zoo’s 430-pound female-hating gorilla.
3. After biting and sneering at the zoo’s lady gorillas, 23-year-old bachelor Patrick will be moved to the Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens in Columbia, S.C., who are known for helping gorillas with behavioral problems.
@DallasZoo We had a wonderful day at the Dallas Zoo. We got up close and personal with Patrick the Gorilla. Amazing!
5. Though fine interacting with humans, the Western lowland gorilla generally disliked other gorillas and resisted breeding attempts. “It’s become clear that he prefers to live a solitary life,” said Dr. Lynn Kramer, head veterinarian at the Dallas Zoo.
@DallasZoo we love Patrick so much. Wanted to share a picture of the first time my son “met” him about 2 years ago.
7. Up until now the ornery New York-born gorilla has been living in his own habitat, where he hasn’t had to interact with the other animals and can walk around naked all he wants.
The Dallas Zoo
Q&A about popular #gorilla Patrick’s move from #Dallas: http://t.co/3XQzNlF8o1
9. Zoo officials said they repeatedly tried to socialize Patrick, whose only friend was Jabari, a gorilla who was killed by Dallas police after a 2004 escape where he injured three people.
11. The zoo will host goodbye celebrations for Patrick this week, and wasted no time finding a high-profile replacement for him: The two new males they’ve acquired from the Calgary Zoo include YouTube star Zola, the breakdancing gorilla.
- The Obama administration, which has been notoriously secretive about its drone policy, said drone strikes have killed up to 116 civilians.
- #AusVotes 2016: Follow our live election day blog as polls open, votes are cast and sausages are sizzled 🇦🇺
- Attorney General Loretta Lynch said she'll accept FBI recommendations in the investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email servers.