1. High school sweethearts Misty and Larry Schaffer had been married since 2008, and Larry never once mentioned Misty’s weight.
3. But when Larry, an Army specialist, was deployed for a year to Afghanistan in 2012, Misty decided to give him a big surprise: She went on a secret yearlong diet.
5. “I just sat in bed one night and was like, ‘I can do this,’” she told CNN. “‘I need to do this.’”
7. The Leland, N.C., mom cut out junk food from her diet and used portion control to get down from a size 24 to a size 6.
14. The best part for Misty? Her husband finally being able to pick her up for the first time.
“A lot of people look at it like, ‘Why is that such a big deal?’” she said. “But [when] you never thought you’d see that moment, that somebody can pick you up … it is a big deal.”
- Thousands have made it to the Women's March on Washington to stand up for women's right and protest Donald Trump.
- Crowds for the Women's March in Washington, DC, are turning out to be much larger than for the inauguration so far.
- Marches are being held around the world in solidarity with the women in Washington.
- People are participating in the Women's March today all the way in Antarctica, surrounded by penguins ❄️