1. High school sweethearts Misty and Larry Schaffer had been married since 2008, and Larry never once mentioned Misty’s weight.
3. But when Larry, an Army specialist, was deployed for a year to Afghanistan in 2012, Misty decided to give him a big surprise: She went on a secret yearlong diet.
5. “I just sat in bed one night and was like, ‘I can do this,’” she told CNN. “‘I need to do this.’”
7. The Leland, N.C., mom cut out junk food from her diet and used portion control to get down from a size 24 to a size 6.
14. The best part for Misty? Her husband finally being able to pick her up for the first time.
“A lot of people look at it like, ‘Why is that such a big deal?’” she said. “But [when] you never thought you’d see that moment, that somebody can pick you up … it is a big deal.”
- At least 36 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- The president of the EU Council says the bloc's leaders want UK's exit plans "to be specified as soon as possible."
- More athletes — nearly all of them golfers — have pulled out of the Rio Olympics over Zika virus concerns.