And there’s good news: Just in time for Valentine’s Day, here’s a recipe you can use to mix up your very own party-size batch of Amortentia.
We can’t predict exactly what it will smell like to you, but we can guarantee that it will be delicious, get you drunk, and cause anyone you serve it to to become wildly infatuated with you.*
*We cannot actually guarantee this.
5. First, you’ll need to assemble and freeze an ice ring for your punch bowl.
Before you get started, boil 4 cups of water and let it cool to room temperature. This helps the water freeze clear instead of cloudy.
Spread out 1 cup of raspberries and 1 cup of pomegranate seeds in the bottom of a bundt or flat ring pan. A heart-shaped bundt pan is extra cute, but a plain circle will also work fine without decreasing the potion’s magical properties.
Next, cover the fruit with a layer of ice cubes, to keep it from floating to the surface when you add water. Finally, pour in enough water to fully cover the ice — you don’t need to pour all the way to the top of the pan, unless you want a very big ice ring (but keep in mind that it will leave less room for punch).
Freeze overnight or until solid. When you’re ready to use the ice ring, run water over the bottom of the pan until it releases.
7. Next up: Booze! Specifically Aperol, gin, and pink sparkling wine. Oh, and some pomegranate juice.
Basically, just pour everything into a bowl, mix, and float the ice ring on top. See the full recipe below for exact amounts. If you’d like it a little less boozy, you can replace the gin with seltzer.
9. “Amortentia” Love Potion Punch
Serves about 20
For ice ring:
1 pint fresh red raspberries
1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
4 cups water, boiled and cooled
1 750-ml bottle Aperol
4 cups pomegranate juice
2 cups gin
2 750-ml bottles chilled rosé sparkling wine
Spread raspberries and pomegranate seeds in the bottom of a bundt or ring cake pan. Cover fruit with a layer of ice cubes to keep it in place and pour enough boiled water over to just cover the ice (you don’t need to use all the water). Freeze overnight.
Mix Aperol, pomegranate juice, and gin together in a large punch bowl. (Optional: You can make this mixture ahead of time and chill overnight in a sealed container while the ice ring freezes.)
When you’re ready to serve the punch, sparkling wine and stir gently. Float the ice ring on top.
10. Just remember: Amortentia is dangerous stuff.
“Amortentia doesn’t create actual love, of course. That’s impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room.” —Horace Slughorn
- From water jugs and dehydrated food, to faraday cages and unregistered vehicles, liberals are prepping for Donald Trump's presidency.
- Many people are feared dead after an avalanche hit a hotel in central Italy Wednesday night, local media report.
- Federal agencies have put on a fireworks finale for the Obama administration, suing JP Morgan, Oracle, Fiat Chrysler, and Navient.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? That's thanks to Chinese selfie app, Meitu. Say cheese 📸