Does your neighborhood store look something like this right now? DON’T PANIC. You can still feed yourself with what’s already in your fridge and pantry. Here’s what to make…
If you’ve got a loaf of stale bread:
If you’ve got a couple cans of tomatoes:
If your pantry is full of grains:
If you’ve got a bacon stash to use up:
11. Baked Potato Soup with Bacon & Cheddar
If fresh scallions aren’t going to happen, try roasting a head of garlic while you bake the potatoes, then mash up the cloves and add them to into the soup. Losing the sour cream here isn’t a dealbreaker; you can swap in Greek yogurt if you’ve got it.
Get the recipe at The Kitchn.
If you stocked up on canned beans:
13. Black Bean Soup
This recipe is partly pureed so it’s smooth and classy, but leaving it chunky is a valid option too. If you don’t have bell peppers, you can dice other vegetables lying around (carrots, celery, etc) and cook with the onions.
Get the recipe at Smitten Kitchen.
If you have basic baking supplies:
And maybe a few old or frozen bananas:
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Donald Trump keeps questioning polls and insisting he's winning — even as most show him behind nationally.
- At least 59 people were killed in an overnight militant attack at a police center in Quetta, Pakistani officials say.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏