25 Things Every Grown-Ass Adult Should Have
Small tweaks that will have a big impact on your home and your life.
1. An Expanding File Folder
2. A Working Printer
3. Things Hung Upon the Walls
4. A Simple Tool Kit & a Drill
5. A Workable To-Do List & Calendar
7. A Fireproof Box
8. Extra Unopened Toothbrushes
9. A Glue Gun
10. Reusable Latex Gloves
One of the biggest light bulb moments I had in my twenties was when I realized I hate cleaning and gross chores dramatically less when I'm wearing latex gloves. It's amazing how much easier they make it — mentally anyway — to do tasks like cleaning the bathroom, dealing with clogged drains or a fucked-up garbage disposal, scrubbing unspeakable things out of grout (PET OWNERSHIP FTW)... Latex gloves + an old apron is my superhero outfit for mega chore days.
Also let's all take a moment to appreciate these low-key genius gloves with scouring pads built in (!!) that my co-worker Jess has/loves.
11. A Sponge Holder
12. A "Just Got Home" Routine
13. A Plunger
14. The Names and Numbers of Professional Problem-Solvers
15. Flashlights and/or Candles + Matches*
16. The Name of Your City Councilperson
17. A Stash of Cards + Stamps
18. Cloth Napkins
19. The Name of Your Police Precinct and the Non-Emergency Number
20. A Plant — That You Actually Know How to Take Care of
21. The Name & Number of the Nearest 24-Hour Emergency Vet
22. A Library Card
23. The Name of at Least One of Your Neighbors
Maybe I watch too much crime TV (I mean, I definitely do) but when I've lived alone, I've always appreciated having a few neighbors who know my face and name and can tell the cops if they haven't seen me for a few days. Even if you have roommates, it's still a good idea.