for 4 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 ½ cups arborio rice (345 g)
1 teaspoon salt
pepper, to taste
½ cup dry white wine (120 mL)
4 cups butternut squash, cubed (820 g)
4 cups vegetable broth (945 mL)
fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
1. To prep cut off both ends of the butternut squash and poke 10-15 air vents with a fork. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
2. Peel the skin off of the squash. The skin should peel right off! Once peeled, cut into 1x1-inch (2x2-cm) cubes.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
4. In a large dutch oven or oven-safe pot, sauté onion in olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until semi-translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
5. Add the thyme and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
6. Add arborio rice and sauté until lightly toasted, then stir in salt, pepper and white wine.
7. Stir in butternut squash and and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
8. Cover pot and transfer to oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
9. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately