2. Yes, this is a thing. From the American Heart Association:
Commotio cordis is a phenomenon in which a sudden blunt impact to the chest causes sudden death in the absence of cardiac damage. This condition was first described in the middle of the 18th century in the context of chest trauma among workers …commotio cordis events have primarily occurred in sports… Baseball is the most common sport in which commotio occurs. Nearly all commotio events are caused by direct baseball strikes to the left chest wall over the cardiac silhouette. Pitchers, catchers, and batters have the highest incidence of commotio cordis.
3. Good luck to us all.
4. More at Dinosaur Comics.
- President Obama has ordered a full review of hacking related to the 2016 election. Officials have alleged Russia used the hacks to interfere with the election.
- Trump's cabinet fills out: He's reportedly tapped a Washington state Congresswoman for interior secretary and Goldman Sachs's president for a key economic position.
- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has apologized for negligence after lawmakers impeached her over a corruption scandal.
- J. Cole dropped his much-anticipated album and people are holding onto it like it's an oxygen tank for 2016.