'That is not a normal dog': Vets and experts say ALL pugs and bulldogs need corrective surgery because they can't breathe properly and lead 'miserable lives'
As a pug owner, reading the above headline causes a sudden realisation.
"OMP (oh my pug), I am the worst owner in the world and my pug might as well be dead."
To celebrate the enlightenment that my dog has the worst life ever, here's a collection of photos to display his miserable, unhealthy life.
1. When he was a puppy and was destined to lead an unhappy life.
2. When he first met his Ma and was not at all full of love and happiness.
3. When he had his FIRST EVER WALKIES and totally did not have the best day of his life.
4. When he grew up leading an unhealthy lifestyle.
5. When he wasn't at all into exercise and was not a complete rock star.
6. When he had to wear a bobble hat because... well, just because.
7. When he was more successful than his humans and appeared on local radio.
8. When he was running so fast that he couldn't stop (despite being unfit and unable to breathe).
9. When he had a birthday party and was totally not the happiest puggy in the world.
10. When he had to have a shower and was genuinely miserable.
11. When he could not happily keep up with the bigger dogs.
12. When he had the worst day at the beach. EVER.
13. When he looked into my eyes and let me know just how much he hates his life.
14. When he totally did not enjoy himself at Birmingham Gay Pride.
15. When he was actually depressed after checking the scales.
16. When he did not enjoy first seeing snow. AT ALL.
17. When he wasn't at all a relatable meme.
18. When he was not the biggest snuggle munch teddy bear in the world.
19. When his ickle biddy waist wasn't praised by his vets for being in great shape and a pleasure to see.
20. When his feelings were actually questionable about having a little brother.
** BONUS PHOTO - When his brother, Krypto, was having an equally miserable life. **
21. When he was dressed as a completely not cute, unhappy penguin.
22. When his miserable life hit a new low when he met the Pet Shop Boys.
23. When he modelled for Primark and was in stores across Europe.
This article was in no way meant down-play the issue of overbreeding/interbreeding/meeting breed standards. However, a large number of pugs do not have breathing problems and lead perfectly healthy, happy lives.
Generalising the whole breed is not solving the issue. It's the breeders who do not care for the future welfare of their litters that are the issue. But this is an issue across ALL BREEDS. Pugs actually have a longer lifespan than most dogs. Have a Google of the Kennel Club imposed standards of German Shepherds and how this is seriously damaging the breed.
The main takeaway from this should be to research your breed. Keep them healthy, know where issues lie. For instance, fat pugs might be cute (LOL look at it eating pizza) but in the long run, they will have more health problems and spend less time gracing the world with their puggy awesomeness.
If you're still hating on all pugs and think it's cruel to own one, have a read of my latest rant on Kipper's Instagram which fuelled me making this collection of pics. And if you're still a pug hater, read some of the comments from other healthy, happy pugs just like Kip.