Spiked Hot Chocolate
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup powdered sugar
8 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 candy canes
¾ ounce peppermint schnapps per serving of hot chocolate
Peppermint sticks, for garnish
1. Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, then stir to combine.
2. Heat milk in a pot, just until it starts to simmer the smallest bit, then turn off heat. Ladle out 2 cups of milk into the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture, and whisk together. Pour mixture back into the pot with the rest of the milk and whisk well. Add the vanilla and pinch of salt, and whisk.
3. Using a hand mixer, whip heavy cream until medium peaks form. Add powdered sugar and whip for another minute.
4. Crush candy canes in a ziplock bag. Mix into whipped cream.
5. To serve: Pour ¾ ounce peppermint schnapps into a mug. Add 8 ounces of hot chocolate. Top with a dollop of peppermint whipped cream and a peppermint stick!