1. How to Commit Internet Suicide and Disappear from the Web Forever
Maybe, after the election, everyone is over this whole Internet thing. Pocket’s most-saved tech story this week was Thorin Klosowski’s Lifehacker guide to permanently deleting yourself from the Internet.
3. Secrets, Schemes, and Lots of Guns: Inside John McAfee’s Heart of Darkness
Journalist Jeff Wise traveled to Belize for Gizmodo to hunt down John McAfee, “founding father of the anti-virus software industry,” who was arrested in May after authorities found a stash that included $20,000 in cash and a pile of weapons. He was later released, but what’s he doing holed up in Central America?
4. Adaptive Vs. Responsive Layouts And Optimal Form Field Labels
For the UX geeks, here’s a guide from Christian Holst in Smashing Magazine on how to make the right decisions regarding adaptive layouts or responsive layouts.
6. ‘I Am a Terrible Programmer’
What does that even mean? Some words of wisdom from Dan Shipper: “Like most things in life, the answer to what a good coder is, is somewhere in between the guy who wants to get it out fast and the guy who wants to make it beautiful.”
7. Why did Apple release the iPad 4 so soon after the iPad 3?
There’s a new iPad — but didn’t we just get a new iPad? “We’ve heard a few theories, and have a few of our own.” Ars Technica breaks down why there’s another one already.
9. Microsoft Video: Speech Recognition Breakthrough for the Spoken, Translated Word
In the future, everyone will be multilingual! Here’s a Microsoft demo of new speech-recognition software that translates spoken English into computer-generated Chinese.
10. Nexus 10 Review
One thing we’ve noticed: People love writing (and saving for later) long-form gadget reviews. Here, the Android Police offer up their review of the new Nexus 10 tablet, how it compares to its Android and non-Android competitors.
What else are we saving to Pocket? See more of what’s popular on the @PocketHits Twitter feed.
- Hillary Clinton is calling on the FBI to release "whatever facts they claim to have" on the newly discovered emails.
- An American Airlines plane caught on fire on the runway Friday afternoon at Chicago's O'Hare airport.
- Russia has been blocked from serving on the UN Human Rights Council in a surprising vote.
- A woman's 85-year-old grandpa was the flower girl at her wedding ❤️