Add a touch of glitz to your home with a gold leaf light switch, like this one created by Sarah from Sarah Hearts.
Materials: a plastic light switch cover, painter’s tape, one sheet of gold leaf, gold leaf sizing, Mod Podge, a soft paint brush, a foam brush, and rubber or cotton gloves.
1. Apply the tape across the front of the switch plate. Smooth the tape with your hands to make sure it's adhered. (If you want to cover the entire switch plate with gold leaf simply skip this step.)
2. Use the foam brush to apply a very thin coat of the gold leaf sizing to the area you want to be gold, including one of the screw heads. Allow this to dry for about 30 minutes, or until it’s dry but slightly sticky. If you drag your knuckle across it and it squeaks, then it’s ready for the gold leafing.
3. Carefully place the gold leaf on the switch plate. Use your hands to carefully press the foil onto the switch plate.
4. Remove the paper backing. Carefully press the foil onto the switch plate.
5. Wrap the gold leaf on the edges. Use your fingers to press the gold leafing on to the edges.
6. Remove large pieces of excess gold leaf. Use the soft paint brush to remove excess gold leafing around the edges of the switch plate. Repeat to apply gold leaf to one of the screw heads.
7. Remove the painters tape. Peel off the painters tape to reveal the hard edge. Use the soft paint brush to remove any excess gold leaf that may remain where the tape was.
8. Allow to dry for one hour. Use the foam brush to apply a thin, even coat of Mod Podge. Allow to dry completely, around 20 minutes.