The team at The Merry Thought made this shimmery red, white, and blue mobile. Here's how.
1. Gather your materials: You will need red, silver, and blue metallic pipe cleaners, metal hoops, scissors, wire cutter, jump ring, clear nylon string.
2. If you can't find metal hoops anywhere, buy an old lamp shade from a thrift store. Cut it apart and peel back the fabric until you have the hoop free. Use wire cutters to separate inside pieces of metal from the hoops that you want.
3. Cut your pipe cleaner. The mobile shown uses mainly 2" pompoms, but some 3" and 4" pompoms for the larger mobiles. Use two pipe cleaners, which will make 12 cut up strips (you can add more strips for desired fullness).
4. Tie it up. Cut a smaller piece of pipe cleaner and wrap it around the 12 strips you have cut. Be sure to twist it very tightly!
5. Fluff it. Pull each of the ends apart so that it starts looking like a pom-pom.
6. Create the mobile. Tie three long equal strands of the nylon string around the hoop (at an equal distance apart) and then tie them up to the middle and around a jump ring so you can hang it from a hook while attaching the pom-poms. You can also wrap extra pipe cleaner around the hoop at this point if you would like, or just leave it plain. Using the nylon string, tie around the middle of your pom-poms and then arrange and tie them to the hoop as desired.