28 Maps That Will Completely Destroy Your Worldview
Where can I move so that I'll be as far away from people as possible?
1. This is "Point Nemo", the oceanic pole of inaccessibility. If you're really fed up with people, Point Nemo is the spot on Earth that's furthest from any landmass or island.
2. In 1992 a cargo ship lost about 29,000 rubber ducks in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Here's is when and where they washed ashore:
3. What percentage of Europeans are willing to go to war for their country?
4. Only 5% of the world's population lives in the blue areas. For comparison, 5% also lives in the red area.
5. Probably has something to do with the fact that more people live inside this circle than outside of it:
6. Here's another map showing the population density of Earth, just to really drive this point home:
7. In case you needed an excuse to visit Finland, here's every public sauna in the country:
8. This is the longest straight line you can walk without hitting an ocean:
It begins in Liberia and ends in China. (Or, of course, the other way round.)
9. How big is the moon? Here's the US overlaid on it for comparison:
10. Here's what soft drinks are called across the US:
11. This is the range of the widest photo taken to date on Earth. It was shot in the Pyrenees on the France–Spain border and shows the distant Alps, about 275 miles away.
12. In response to a poll taken in 2013, these were the most common answers given to a question about which country posed the greatest threat to world peace:
13. And these are the countries that each nation imports the most from:
14. Here's where every bicycle accident happened in Berlin in 2011:
15. Here's every country (in red) that doesn't have a river flowing within its borders:
16. Where are same-sex marriages legal and recognized (shades of blue) and where aren't they legal yet (shades of gray)?
17. This is how we're divided when it comes to boobs vs. butts:
18. And here's what women in Europe like to look at on Pornhub:
19. Finally, here's what the rest of us looked at back in 2015:
20. Speaking of, here's how many people (in percent per country) have sex at least once a week:
21. Ever wonder where you'd end up if you dug straight through the planet?
22. This map should come in handy next time you're trying to decipher each European country's approach to quotation marks:
23. In case you were curious about which state has produced the most US presidents...
24. Africa is the continent with the fewest metal bands.
25. According to NASA, these are all the fires in the world during February of 2017:
26. And here's August of 2016:
27. Here's everything you can see from the top of Mount Everest:
28. Name suggestions for possible EU exits:
This post was translated from German.
Keep up with the latest daily buzz with the BuzzFeed Daily newsletter!