25 Maps That Will Make You See The World Differently
Where on earth are you the farthest away from all people?
1. Big on hiking? This is the longest stretch on Earth that you can walk in a straight line.
It begins in Liberia and ends in China. Or, of course, the other way around. Your call, really.
2. According to Pornhub statistics, the countries in blue search more for boobs and the countries in red search more for butts.
3. Here are the countries with the most psychiatrists:
4. And every city in the world with a population over 100,000:
5. Correspondingly, this map shows population density:
6. To put that in perspective, there are more people living within this circle than outside of it:
7. Tons of varying opinions about sports out there, but most of the world seems to agree on soccer.
8. When do the young people of the world come of age sexually?
9. The darkest blue areas on this map show where same-sex intercourse is legal. The brown areas show where same-sex intercourse is punished with imprisonment or death.
10. And this map shows where gay men claim to be the happiest:
11. This point is called the "Pacific pole of inaccessibility." It's the spot on Earth that's farthest away from any landmass.
12. Here's a breakdown of the percentage of people who claim to have sex at least once a week:
13. And here's where the highest percentage of circumcised men live:
14. Where the most alcohol is drunk in the world:
15. And the breakdown of the types of alcohol that are most consumed by every country in the world:
16. Here are all the active fires in the world in the month of August 2016.
17. In case you were wondering where the death penalty still exists:
18. Where the countries of the world import the most from:
19. Where you'll need which kind of plug:
20. The few countries in the world that have hosted the Olympics:
21. And also the few countries in the world that don't use the metric system:
22. Left-side driving (in blue) versus right-side driving (in red):
23. These are the prevailing religions in each country:
24. The various camouflage patterns of the world:
25. And most important of all, which countries have the most metal bands:
Map 9 refers to same-sex intercourse. A previous version of this post mislabeled it as same-sex marriage.
Map 10 reflects the experience of gay men. A previous version of this post mischaracterized the study as referring to people who identify as gay.