2. You might know them for their Internet hit “Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell”…
3. …or maybe for their more recent singles, like “Michael Jackson”
6. Kool A.D. confirmed the split on Twitter yesterday.
for the record i quit das racist 2 months ago and was asked by our manager not to announce it yet. apparently @himanshu wanted to do it tho.— KOOL A.D.
This shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. Kool A.D. and Heems both released solo mixtapes this year, and seemed to be going off in their own directions.
8. Here’s Kool A.D.’s song “La Piñata”:
9. And here’s Heems’ song “Womyn”:
Das Racist seemed like a novelty when they first came on the scene, but they quickly developed into one of the most interesting, funny, and distinct rap groups of the past few years. They were especially great at combining playful humor and sharp points about race and gender politics.
They were also crucial in building a new rap community in New York City. They became the focal point of a new “weird New York” scene including veterans like El-P and Roc Marciano as well as up-and-coming stars like Mr. MFN eXquire, Mayhem Lauren and Action Bronson. This was cemented on eXquire’s hit “Huzzah Remix” last year, in which they appeared alongside him, El-P, Danny Brown and Despot, and Heems declared himself “worst rapper on this track, third coolest.”
Kool A.D. and Heems will probably end up teaming up with the rappers in this scene in the years to come, which is exciting. They might even end up on a lot of tracks together. And the way things are these days, it can’t be that long before they end up getting paid very well to do a reunion tour. So dry your eyes, and enjoy this Madvillain remix of their song “hahahaha jk?”
- BuzzFeed News has identified the 4th member of an ISIS cell that beheaded 27 hostages. His mother tells the family's story.
- Twitter will no longer count links, @names, and GIFs toward its 140-character limit. You can also retweet yourself now.
- Greek police have begun clearing Europe's largest informal refugee camp on its border with Macedonia.