Let’s meet the band!
4. Before Chvrches took off, Lauren was pursuing a career in writing. She has a master’s degree in journalism, and won a prestigious journalism award back in 2010 for an article she wrote about the hygiene of body piercing.
You can read her story in full in this PDF file.
6. And, uh, she can do a pretty good impression of Gollum from Lord of the Rings.
11. Lauren was in two bands before Chvrches — a group called Boyfriend/Girlfriend, and more recently, Blue Sky Archives. Here’s a couple of their songs:
13. Chvrches debuted their first demo, “Lies,” on the Neon Gold blog in May 2012, and they were pretty much immediately popular in the music blog scene.
14. A few months later, the band released another amazing song called “The Mother We Share.”
16. Chvrches started off 2013 by putting out yet another ridiculously catchy song called “Recover.”
17. The band is finaaaallllllly releasing its first album, The Bones of What You Believe, on Sept. 24.
18. It includes all of those songs, plus “Gun.” They made a pretty trippy video for that one.
21. They also love Whitney Houston, and have been talking about covering “It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay” at upcoming shows.
22. That hasn’t happened yet, but they do an excellent version of Prince’s classic “I Would Die 4 U” in concert.
24. Chvrches also make a lot of remixes, like this fun, bouncy version of MS MR’s song “Hurricane.”
25. Unlike a lot of bands, Chvrches make a point of personally writing everything on their Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Donald Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- President Barack Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- Blue Lies Matter: Video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good 🛀