3. And of course, since Montreal’s Jewish immigrants have their own spin on pastrami, they have their own distinct style of bagels too.
Montreal-style bagels are smaller, denser, and sweeter than New York bagels, and are most commonly found topped with sesame or poppy seeds.
4. This is peameal bacon, which is basically pork loin pickled in brine then rolled in cornmeal.
It’s a million times better than the “Canadian bacon” you’ll find in the states.
5. You definitely need to try a Nanaimo bar, which is one of the most common desserts in Canada.
There are a lot of variations in recipe, but the bars are usually made of chocolate ganache, vanilla custard, and crushed cookies. Here’s a recipe.
7. …and they’re incredibly versatile.
Here they’re topped with icing and sugar like doughnuts.
8. You can pretty much use bannock instead of bread in anything. Here are some bannock dogs…
16. The maple leaf on the flag is no joke. In Canada, it’s ALL MAPLE EVERYTHING.
20. Good luck finding a can of Crush pink cream soda outside of Canada.
They’re hoarding all of it.
22. Tim Hortons is the home of the Canadian maple doughnut, which is perhaps the most perfect doughnut known to mankind.
It’s basically a Boston cream doughnut, but with maple icing instead of chocolate icing. It’s like a pancake filled with vanilla pudding, and pure genius.
23. And if you want to mix and match your doughnut varieties, the obvious solution is to get a big box of bite-sized Timbits.
Just pour them into your mouth.
24. And last but not least, there’s Kraft Dinner.
Americans call it “macaroni and cheese.”
25. Even when it’s not technically “Kraft Dinner.”
It’s all Kraft Dinner.
- Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new National Security Adviser, replacing Michael Flynn, who resigned last week.
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- Senator Ron Wyden will soon introduce legislation requiring warrants before phones can be searched at the US border.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎