1. Val Kilmer’s character Ice Man got his nickname because he ‘flies ice cold’.
3. As were the volleyball and locker room scenes which featured bare-chested Cruise and Kilmer.
4. In 2011, the Chinese government broadcast Top Gun footage, claiming it was the Chinese air force.
5. Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis (Charlie) were never shot side by side because McGillis is quite a bit taller than Cruise. To hide this, she was forced to act barefoot while he was stuck in heels.
6. Topgun screenwriter Jack Epps Jr. said that “losing Goose was a tough choice.” But it needed to happen to add an ‘emotional’ element to the movie.
7. Tom Cruise flew in a F-14 Tomcat three times to prepare for the role. He threw up the first time.
8. The only actor who didn’t throw up during training was Anthony Edwards aka Goose.
10. Ray-Ban sunglasses saw a massive spike in sales in 1986 thanks to the movie.
11. Tough-talking commander Stinger (James Tolkan) is better known for his role as Mr Strickland in the Back To The Future trilogy.
12. Top Gun was the biggest grossing movie of 1986 making $170 million in the U.S. alone.
13. … Despite an F-14 costing at least $18 million to buy.
14. In real life Charlie and Wolfman (actor Barry Tubb) got it together. “She fell down in the middle of the street, and she had my heart,” he said.
16. The movie was dedicated to Art Scholl - an aerobatic pilot and aerial cameraman who was killed during production after his plane crashed into the Pacific Ocean.
- Beyoncé slayed her "Lemonade" performance at the MTV VMAs Sunday night 👸🐝