13 AirPod Pro Hacks That Really Justify Why I Just Spent $200 On These Things
Come for the noise cancellation, stay for the "spatial audio" feature.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
Congrats! You're officially down with APP.
These headphones aren't like all those other headphones, and once you experience all the features, you'll start to see why.
As a proud new owner of AirPod Pros (my previous pair was the first gen AirPods), these newfangled things have taken some time to get used to. The medium-sized ear tips were giving me a headache until I finally decided to swap them out for the smallest size. I felt like I was hearing faraway sounds, like, IN my eardrum in noise cancellation mode. But honestly, now that I've had them for a couple of weeks, nothing beats the immersive feeling of listening to music while wearing them, and the battery life is a huge quality of life gamechanger over my old pair. Just try vacuuming while listening to a podcast with the noise cancellation on — all of your $200 regrets will quickly wash away.
Before we get started, a few of these tips work with other versions of AirPods as well, so you might still get something out of this post even if you own a different model.
1. If the tips feel uncomfortable in your ears or you're feeling somewhat in between sizes, get some memory foam replacements that are squishier and ensure a snug fit.
2. You can customize your audio preferences by going to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual and turning on Headphone Accommodations.
3. Use a clean, dry electric toothbrush to clean out the mesh grills on each AirPod.
4. There's a whole custom AirPods Pro menu that you can access from Settings > Bluetooth > AirPods Pro.
5. This menu is also where you can turn on "Spatial Audio."
6. Want to know if "Spatial Audio" is on while you're watching something? Go to your control panel, long press on the volume, and it'll tell you.
7. You can share your audio with anyone near you who is also wearing a set of AirPods, AirPod Pros, or Beats.
8. Use a feature called "Live Listening," which allows you to pick up sounds near your phone while wearing your AirPods.
Once you've made it accessible, you can access Live Listening via the Control Panel. It's this little icon with the ear on it.
10. Be safe and remember to put them on transparency mode (or turn noise cancellation completely off) while walking or jogging in public.
Transparency mode is the sort of "in between" mode that uses some noise cancellation but still lets some outside sound in. You can adjust the level of transparency by going to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodations > Transparency Mode (all the way at the bottom of the menu).
You can quickly switch between noise cancellation mode, transparency mode, and off by long pressing on your right AirPod stem.