A woman has come forward to claim that she lost £7 million worth of gold in the infamous Hatton Garden theft of 2015.
Sky News reported on Friday that the woman, who has not been named, only realised she had lost the gold after the criminal trial of four of the gang accused of carrying out the raid, which ended in January 2016.
Three men were found guilty, after four ringleaders had previously pleaded guilty to plotting one of the most complex and audacious heists in modern criminal history.
Police said that the gang got away with £14 million in jewels, gold and cash, and only about £3.7 million was recovered. If the woman's claims are correct, the total value of goods stolen comes to £21 million.
Despite one of the largest police investigations in living memory, several strands of the Hatton Garden raid remain unsolved, including the whereabouts of a mystery man referred to by the thieves only as "Basil".
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "In June 2016, police received an allegation of theft from a security box relating to the Hatton Garden burglary in April, 2015. The victim is alleging the loss of a substantial amount of property. The investigation is ongoing."
Patrick Smith is a senior reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Patrick Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.