1. Video captured the moment Chappelle ended the show to boos.
Comedian Dave Chappelle, who recently returned to stand-up on a comeback tour, was on stage in Hartford, Conn., Thursday night when he was apparently heckled by a large audience and walked off.
“I forgive some of you, but I don’t forgive all of you. You guys have totally ruined by chances of running for Congress or something,” the comedian said before allegedly flipping off the noisy crowd and walking off to a Kanye West track.
Chappelle is headlining the 15-city tour of the Funny or Die Oddball Festival.
Members of the audience immediately took to social media claiming the comedian “bombed” and suffered a “meltdown.” Others blamed the “obnoxious” crowd for preventing the show from continuing.
Hartford Police said extra patrols were called in as a precaution and for potential crowd control after some fans became very upset and demanded their money back.
3. The Funny or Die festival’s Twitter account urged the crowd to “pipe down.”
Hey Hartford! Pipe down and let Dave Chappelle do his thing!/ Via
4. But it didn’t work.
Chapelle tried to work through the yelling, and he told people he wasnt telling any jokes until they quieted down. And they didnt./ Via
dave chappelle just walked on stage, told 2 jokes, sat down and lectured us, then says “i have 3 minutes left then I’m going to the bank”/ Via
Dave chappelle is soft. Heard only 2 Jokes tonight and cried about the crowd the rest of the night smdh/ Via
8. While others suggested the crowd wasn’t actually heckling Chappelle, just really excited.
Ty Wenger, ESPN
Just saw Dave #Chappelle meltdown in Hartford. Bizarre. He was not heckled. The crowd was cheering him. Dave self-sabotaged that show./ Via
9. “What a letdown that was,” Nick Boudin said. “Dude stood on stage and bickered back and forth with the rowdy crowd for 25 minutes and then walked off stage.”
Dave Chappelle just walked off the stage and told the DJ to play New Slaves. The crowd continued to boo and heckle/ Via
- We've compiled an extensive (but not exhaustive) list of lies, exaggerations, and bullshit from Trump's first 100 days in office 💯🗒
- Infowars founder Alex Jones was dealt a legal blow after a judge ruled in favor of his ex-wife in the custody battle of their three children.
- Beginning in 2018, prescription drugs will be free for anyone under the age of 25 in Ontario, Canada, government says 💊🇨🇦
- President Trump can order himself a Coke with the simple push of a red button installed at his desk in the Oval Office 🔴