1. Brazilian big wave surfer Carlos Burle rode this monster wave Monday at the Portuguese big wave spot Praia do Norte.
3. Witnesses estimated the wave may have been more than 100 feet tall.
4. English surfer Andrew Cotton also got in on the action.
5. Brazilian surfer Maya Gabeira wiped out while riding one of the big waves and was seen floating unconscious in the water.
6. Burle rescued Gabeira with a jet ski and took her to shore.
8. Spectators watched from a nearby lighthouse as waves pounded the shoreline.
9. Burle and McNamara posed for a photo after Burle surfed the possibly record-breaking wave.
10. Burle also received a hug from fellow surfer Pedro Scooby.
11. Despite the near-tragedy, the big waves made for a beautiful scene.
12. The incredible day of surfing was captured on video.
- At least 10 people, including the gunman, are dead after a shooting at a mall in Munich, Germany.