1. Let’s start with an easy one. Yorkshire puddings.
Where better to start than with the magnificent Yorkshire pudding. Seen above with the traditional Roast Beef, true Yorkshirefolk know that it can also be had as a starter with onion gravy or even as a pudding with butter and sugar.
3. And the best condiment.
Ubiquitous in Sheffield, “Hendo’s” can go in and on just about every savoury food imaginable. It’s so Sheffield that songwriter Richard Hawley (from Sheffield) advertised his 2007 album Lady’s Bridge (a place in Sheffield) on the side of bottles.
12. But it’s all about the people, right?
Okay, sorry Sean. When he’s not busy originating memes and dying in every role he plays, Sheffield born Sean Bean is also seen walking back into pubs and asking for a pint after being stabbed with a broken glass.
16. And the greatest goalkeeper of all time.
Gordon Banks, Sheffield lad and key component of the winning England squad in 1966. In this video from 1970 his lightning-fast reaction to a close-range header from Pelé saves what looked like a sure goal.
20. We invented the working toilet.
Joseph Bramah, above, souped up toilets so that they didn’t freeze over winter. He also invented beer pumps and the hydraulic press. Another famous toilet designer, Thomas Crapper (you heard me), is a Yorkshire boy too. Make of that what you will.
23. The Yorkshire accent makes you sound clever.
Now then, has tha seen this? In 2008, the Yorkshire accent was voted the most intelligent sounding, beating received pronunciation. Although really, we all know that there is no one single ‘Yorkshire accent’ - we’re far too diverse for that.
26. And the fact that Rihanna can’t pronounce our name.
Listen up, Yerrkshyar!
- The Democratic National Convention starts Monday and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- Chris Froome has won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴