20 Of The Most Tear-Jerking "BoJack Horseman" Quotes
If you don't know all of them, you need to watch the show again! (SPOILER WARNING!!!)
BoJack's most profound thoughts:
1. "We’re just two lonely people trying to hate ourselves a little less." — Season 1, Episode 7: "Say Anything"
After breaking up with Princess Carolyn for the second time, BoJack realizes that they were in love only because of one thing they have in common: loneliness.
2. "Sometimes I feel like I was born with a leak, and any goodness I started with just slowly spilled out of me, and now it's all gone." — Season 1, Episode 9: "Horse Majeure"
Contemplating his bitter upbringing, BoJack wonders if he was born to suffer and hurt the people closest to him.
3. "I don’t understand how people… live. It’s amazing to me that people wake up every morning and say: ‘Yeah, another day, let’s do it." — Season 2, Episode 12: "Out to Sea"
4. "Settle. Because otherwise you’re just gonna get older and harder, and more alone. And you’re gonna do everything you can to fill that hole, with friends, and your career, and meaningless sex, but the hole doesn’t get filled." — Season 3, Episode 5: "Love and/or Marriage"
Projecting onto a woman who is getting cold feet at her wedding rehearsal, BoJack suggests that the key to filling the unfillable hole is to settle and not ask for more.
5. "Before I leapt, I should have seen the view from halfway down." — Season 6, Episode 15: "The View From Halfway Down"
In the second to last episode of the series, BoJack's projection of Secretariat reads a poem in which Secretariat professes that he only discovered how much he wanted to live after he had jumped to his death.
Diane's deepest lines:
6. "Every happy ending has the day after the happy ending." — Season 1, Episode 10: "One Trick Pony"
After Diane marries Mr. Peanutbutter, she realizes that she still isn't happy — that happiness can never last and is always shadowed by the thought, "What's next?".
7. "Either you know what you want and then you don't get what you want, or you get what you want and then you don't know what you want." — Season 1, Episode 12: "Later"
8. "There’s no deep down. I believe that all we are is what we do." — Season 6, Episode 16: "Nice While It Lasted"
Consoling him in the series finale with her defining honesty, Diane tells BoJack that his actions determine who he is as a person.
Todd's most surprisingly acute quotes:
9. "Things don’t become traditions because they’re good, BoJack, they become good because they’re traditions." — Bojack Horseman Christmas Special
10. "Sometimes I feel like my whole life is just a series of loosely-related wacky misadventures." — Season 2, Episode 5: "Chickens"
Todd is the constant, good-hearted comedy relief that the series needs in order to balance the darkness, but even he has some existential contemplations.
11. "You are all the things that are wrong with you." — Season 3, Episode 10: "It's You"
In an effort to confront Bojack's constant misbehavior, Todd finally breaks from his friendliness to spit the truth in BoJack's face.
Princess Carolyn's heaviest admissions:
12. "I don’t know how you expect me to love you when you so clearly hate yourself." — Season 1, Episode 1: "BoJack Horseman: The BoJack Horseman Story, Chapter One"
In the series opener, Princess Carolyn lays down the law of the series itself, which is that BoJack can't find peace or love because he does not love himself.
13. "You gotta get your shit together. So you took some licks, but you're gonna bounce back! Because you're talented, you're smart, and damn it, you're good." — Season 1, Episode 7: "Say Anything"
14. "My life is a mess right now and I compulsively take care of other people when I don’t know how to take care of myself." — Season 2, Episode 12: "Out to Sea"
Sarah Lynn's darkest lines:
15. "I’m at a place where I don’t need to grow as a person and can constantly surround myself with sycophants and enablers until I die tragically young." — Season 1, Episode 3: "Prickly Muffin"
Sarah Lynn, BoJack's former co-star on Horsin' Around, claims that her fate is sealed in an eerie foreshadowing of her future on the show.
16. "Yeah, I wanted a change in my life. Because, I heard if you stop doing drugs for a while, the first time you do them again it's amazing." — Season 3, Episode 8: "Old Acquaintance"
17. "I’m this close to falling off the deep end. I know I’m smiling right now, but the light inside me is dying." — Season 3, Episode 12: "That Went Well"
When BoJack came to visit her on tour, Sarah Lynn administered this call for help years before her collapse into drugs and alcohol.
18. Mr. Peanutbutter's most revealing quotes:
19. "The universe is a cruel, uncaring void, The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead." — Season 1, Episode 12: "Later"
In a conversation with Diane, Mr. Peanutbutter attempts to console her with the devastating idea that life is meaningless and that all of her worries will lead to nothing.
20. And finally, "I gotta say I am having the time of my life being depressed." — Season 6, Episode 7: "The Face of Depression"
After Mr. Peanutbutter's "Sad Dog" campaign goes viral, he is offered to go on a tour with Joey Pogo to talk about his depression, responding with this oxymoronic line.