9 Misconceptions About Latinos In The United States
Se habla español. Sometimes.
1. Misconception: Latinos = Mexican.
Reality: Latinos come from LOTS of countries...
2. Misconception: Latinos look the same.
3. Misconception: All Latinos in the U.S. are immigrants.
Reality: Some Latino families have been in the U.S. for decades.
And you know, there are some families who've been around since the 1800s, when the Southwest was Mexico.
4. Misconception: All undocumented immigrants are Latino.
Reality: Nearly 20% of undocumented immigrants are from Asia, Europe, Africa, and Canada.
5. Misconception: All Latinos speak Spanish.
Reality: Lots of Latinos speak Spanish, but not all.
6. Misconception: All Latinos are Catholic.
Reality: There are Catholic Latinos, Jewish Latinos, Mormon Latinos, Protestant Latinos...
According to Pew's Religion and Public Life Project, an estimated 55% of Latinos in the U.S. are Catholic. Protestants make up 22% and 18% are not affiliated with a specific religion.