For the brown butter cake:
(Adapted from raspberricupcakes.com)
* 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks butter )
* 1 1/4 cups plain/all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
* 3/4 cups granulated sugar (I used caster/superfine)
* 2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9×9 baking pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside. Add vanilla to milk.
3. Cream sugar and brown butter in an electric mixer until pale and creamy, at least 5 minutes.
4. Reduce speed to medium low, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Alternately add flour mix and milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Beat until smooth, occasionally scraping bowl with a spatula.
7. Pour mixture into pan and bake until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and the outside is golden, about 30-35 minutes.
8. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then carefully turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Can be stored in an airtight container overnight if you want to prep the cakes a day ahead.
For the Meringue:
* 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
* 1 scant cup sugar
* Pinch of cream of tartar
* Pinch salt
1. Heat egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water.
2. Whisk often until sugar dissolves and the mixture is warm to the touch and turns white in color, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Transfer bowl to the mixer and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form. (About 10 minutes)
1. Using a round 2-inch cutter (the rim of a cup will work), cut 9 circles out of the cake.
2. Top cake circles with a scoop of ice cream, then harden in freezer for 15 minutes.
3. Pipe meringue over cake and ice cream, making sure there are no gaps
4. With a cooking torch, char the meringue by holding the torch around 5 inches away from the cakes.