19. Crewman of the USS Texas pose with mascot dog and cat on the muzzle of one of the ship’s guns, ca. 1900
“Built in 1892, The Texas was the first U.S. battleship and gained a reputation for being jinxed because of a series of accidents. The crew probably hoped the cat and dog would change the ship’s luck.” Source: U.S. Naval Institute.
21. “Pooli,” who served aboard an attack transport during World War Two, 1959
“War Veteran ‘Pooli’, who rates three service ribbons and four battle stars, shows she can still get into her old uniform as she prepares to celebrate her 15th birthday.” Source: U.S. Naval Institute.
28. Crew of the USS Nahant with their two cats, ca. 1898
“The Nahant was an ironclad monitor that joined the fleet of Rear Admiral Samual Francis du Pont (for whom Washington, DC’s Dupont Circle in named) in the attack on Charleston Harbor in 1863.” Source: U.S. Naval Institute.
- A teenager was taken into custody Wednesday after he shot two students and one teacher at an elementary school in South Carolina.
- After top lawmakers accused Russia of meddling with the election, US officials have insisted votes on Election Day will be secure.
- Congress has voted to override President Obama's veto of a bill that'd allow families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia.