OK – Let's get this out of the way: When I refer to tacos, I don't mean this shit:
For those in "that" camp who absolutely LOVE those hard-shell chingaderas, we're just going to set you aside over here:
The delicious mouthwatering tacos I'm talking about look like this:
And typically, this glorious food from heaven is made by this dear man who knows how to handle a drunken crowd in the wee hours of the night:
So why are tacos so perfect? Why are they so damn good? Why are they so ridiculously mouthwatering? Why are they the best thing to come out of planet earth? Here are eight essential reasons:
1. The small corn tortilla. Dipped in just enough cooking oil to make it tender to the bite. The tortilla is essential to keeping everything in line. It's the leader. The team captain. The cover to the greatest book you'll ever read.
2. The al pastor meat. A juicy, tender pork that melts in your mouth. The way the taquero slices the meat off the rotisserie, landing oh so gracefully onto that pillow of a tortilla, waiting to unleash its true power on your taste buds.
3. The pineapple slice. The juicy pineapple that goes so well with the pork. It's like the sweet kiss in an overly passionate relationship. Comforting yet sexy.
4. The salsa. A powerful combination of sweet, sour, and spicy, lethal enough to ruin a tongue if not handled with care. The salsa can be your best friend or your foe. It can be your happiness or your demise. CAREFUL WITH THAT SHIT.
5. And finally, the greatest triple-threat tag team in the world: cilantro, onion, and lime. A team responsible for elevating the taco to a euphoric level of greatness.
If cilantro tastes like soap to you, that sucks. I know it's not your fault, and there's some weird genetic thing going on that's not under your control, but you're really missing out.