3. Born without arms, Mary Gannon teaches her students not to let anything hold them back.
4. Retired teacher Millicent “Mama” Hill gives over 3,000 kids in Watts, Calif. a safe place to go after school.
From the safety of Millicent Hill’s own home, students can get help with their schoolwork and guidance for everything from gang violence to dealing with grief.
5. Math teacher Jon Kitna subbed for Tony Romo and made a forward pass to his students, donating his entire paycheck to the school.
This retired player was called in for a one week contract with the Dallas Cowboys and gave the $55,294 that he made to his school.
6. Amy Ryan and Lee Morris saved a speeding bus full of school children after the driver was knocked out of his seat.
13. Jeanne Manford was one of the founders of Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG).
After watching her gay son get beaten by police on television, this New York City teacher marched into the streets with a sign that read: “Parents of Gays: Unite in Support for our Children.”
18. In a true act of heroism, Michael Landsberry sacrificed his life to protect his students.
This Afghanistan veteran fearlessly approached the shooter, giving students on the playground time to escape to safety. He received a Citizen of the Year award for his bravery, and secured a place in history as one of the most heroic teachers of all time.
- UK voters sent a massive shock through the world, overturning 40 years of British EU membership.
- Prime Minister David Cameron says he will resign by October.
- British banks got hit hard, and their European peers were hit even harder.
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum for Scotland is "highly likely."