2. For Condrin, EDS also results in other conditions causing a large number of chemical allergies and complications eating food. But since mid-2015, her service dog, Lacey, who she found through Canine Helpers Australia, has been a source of support.
3. Just last week, Condrin and Lacey donned matching custom-made outfits as they prepared together for Condrin’s senior formal.
“Lacey brought a smile to everyone’s faces,” Condrin told BuzzFeed. “The ladies at the hairdresser’s took lots of photos and kept giggling whenever they looked over at her.”
6. Condrin said that while she loved prepping for the event together, she wasn’t sure Lacey was ready to attend the dance itself.
“We’ve only been a team for a few months,” Condrin told BuzzFeed, “so I didn’t feel ready to take her to an event with a massive crowd and so many flashing lights. I can’t wait to take her to formal events in the future, though.”
7. And luckily, Condrin has a great human support system too.
“I’d like people to know that disabilities don’t stop for special occasions,” said Condrin. “To make the night possible, we designed a dress from scratch to suit a wheelchair, hired a ramp to take to the venue, organized medications around the events, and more. But it was such a special night, thanks to all the people that went out of their way to support and assist me.”
“Thanks to Lacey, I am so much more independent,” Condrin said. “If I drop something, I can ask Lacey to pick it up, instead of waiting for someone to come over and help me. She helps me open and close doors, meaning I can use accessible bathrooms independently. I can now change clothes and carry bags more easily, and she even helps me with wheelchair transfers by placing my footplate in the correct position.
“Emotionally, too, she has made such a positive impact. During hospital stays and rest periods at home, I know I always have someone by my side. Being a young disabled person can be daunting, but facing the world with an adorable fluffball by my side makes it so much easier.”
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦