6. “For me it’s so hugely about shape and accessibility and versatility,” Ditto tells BuzzFeed, acknowledging the financial challenges of being an independent designer wanting to do things right.
“This collection was DIY because we did do it ourselves,” she says, “and there was no funding, and it’s been frightening and amazing.”
7. “The price point is high [$65–$395]. It’s hard to make things in the U.S., use nice fabrics, and do it plus-size — it’s not cheap. But if you’re gonna spend $150 at a chain store, you might as well spend a little extra and have it be fuckin’ incredible.”
And besides, says Ditto, now was the perfect time for her to take a risk.
8. “People have asked, ‘Don’t you feel like it’s the time for this line?’ I’m 35 and I haven’t toured in two years. Now may not be the time for the world, but it was the time for me. You can’t wait for the world to be ready. You have to do it yourself.”
10. “Ten years ago, there weren’t that many of us doing mainstream photoshoots,” she tells BuzzFeed, “but now there’s an explosion of it. Some people have never heard of the fat positivity movement, but I think things like Instagram are changing that.”
“It’s about representation. It’s having pictures right on your phone of fat models and icons, which we didn’t have to nearly this degree five years ago,” says Ditto. “We are beginning to live in a different era. We’re getting there.”
11. As for the future, Ditto tells BuzzFeed she’s already working on her next collection.
12. “I don’t know where the money’s gonna come from,” she says, “but that’s the punk part of it — we’re doing it for love. Never for money, always for love.”
- Norma McCorvey, the woman behind the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case, Roe v. Wade, has died in Texas at 69.
- Mark Sanford held a town hall on Saturday that he organized with Indivisible, a group dedicated to holding members of Congress' feet to the fire.
- Donald Glover has been cast as Simba in Disney's remake of "The Lion King."