33 TV Actors Who Gave Award-Worthy Performances With Just A Single Monologue
Anya's speech in "The Body" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer still makes me cry.
1. On The West Wing, when President Bartlet delivered this truly iconic speech in both English and Latin after Mrs. Landingham died.
2. On BoJack Horseman, when BoJack gave a eulogy at his mother's funeral.
3. On Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when Anya gave this heartbreaking speech while dealing with Joyce's death.
4. On How to Get Away with Murder, when Annalise argued in front of the Supreme Court.
5. On Doctor Who, when the Doctor gave this iconic speech about war and how it only creates a cruel world.
6. On Jane the Virgin, when Jane rambled about how she was doing after learning that Michael was actually alive.
7. On Grey's Anatomy, when Bailey opened up to Richard about how she was feeling after her miscarriage.
8. Also on Grey's Anatomy, when Cristina gave this speech to Owen about how Burke took pieces of her.
9. On The Newsroom, when the series literally started with Will's speech about how America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.
10. On The Haunting of Hill House, when Nell was in the Red Room and talked to her siblings about time.
11. Also on The Haunting of Hill House, when Theo explained to Shirley how she felt nothing after touching Nell's body.
13. On Shameless, when Fiona told Monica about how she has raised all of her siblings.
14. On Fleabag, when Fleabag talked in the confessional to the priest.
15. On Euphoria, when Rue talked to Fez about having her first panic attack after her dad was diagnosed with cancer.
16. On Game of Thrones, when Tyrion was on trial and gave this memorable speech.
17. On Orange Is the New Black, when Taystee talked about Poussey's death to reporters outside the prison.
18. On Friday Night Lights, when Coach Taylor gave this speech to the Panthers during the state championship game.
19. On This Is Us, when Kevin returned to his high school's football field and gave play-by-play commentary on his life.
20. On Killing Eve, when Villanelle was pretending to be Billie and attended an AA meeting.
21. On Parenthood, when Zeek took Amber to see her wrecked car and told her she can't mess up his dream.
22. On Scandal, when Eli met Olivia in the airplane hanger and talked about her relationship with Fitz and how she has to work twice as hard as everyone else.
23. On Sex Education, when Maeve explained that she's really smart, but she has made some wrong decisions.
24. On Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, when Lorelai called Emily and talked about her favorite memory with Richard.
25. On Glee, when Santana completely roasted Kurt after he suggested that she and Brittany were too young to get married.
26. On Misfits, when Nathan gave this impassioned speech about being young and how they should all make mistakes.
27. On Sorry for Your Loss, when Leigh left this voicemail about her new eyeliner and how she's still grieving her husband's death.
28. On Black Mirror, when Kelly opened up to Yorkie about loving her husband.
29. On Barry, when Sally said her upcoming piece for class was extremely personal.
30. On Teen Wolf, when Stiles talked about drowning and how it's kind of peaceful.
31. On Julie and the Phantoms, when Julie talked to her mom before her big performance at the Orpheum.
32. On The Good Place, when Chidi explained to Eleanor how Buddhists describe death right before he left the Good Place.
33. And finally, on Mad Men, when Don pitched the Kodak Carousel at the end of Season 1.
We can't fit everyone on one list, so do you have other TV monologues that are absolutely amazing? Tell us in the comments below!
Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.